Sunday, November 26, 2006

Freeway

“Hey, do you want to take another adventure on the freeway today?” My dad seemed to be unaware that I was still enjoying my sleep.

Every Saturday me and my dad get to spend some time together and I drive us where ever we want to go. That way it is fun, and we get my driving time finished. I was thinking about my response to him, when I remembered the week before, when I went on the freeway for my first time.

I silently responded back to him, “Um, what about we go back to the driving range and practice backwards figure eight's instead.”

This personally was my favorite thing to do, mostly because it made us think about donuts so we go to Tasty’s when I’m done and get a few donuts. I was driving us slowly around the figure eight's when my dad announced that he was starving and we had to go get donuts. “Fine”, I replied, acting like I wasn’t looking forward to this the whole time. We went and got out donuts and left and went home, after another not so exciting driving experience.

The next day my family all got ready to go visit my grandma and grandpa down in Salt Lake City. We all rushed out to the car in a hurry, because we were already running late. I jumped in the back of the car and was wondering why we had not left yet. I could see through the window my parents talking, the only sentence I could hear was my mom saying, “Fine, as long as I go in another car.” My dad told me to get out and said me “Congratulations, you’re driving us to there house.” I had fear rush to me. “All the way to Salt Lake?!!?” He told me that we were in a hurry and I should start driving.”

I wasn’t very happy about this, after my incidence with the freeway the previous week. There was very heavy construction and I had to make a hard merge into the freeway. But I had to face my fear sometime. Driving to the freeway was a no brainer, but then came the merging. I felt a adrenaline rush as I slammed on gas, hoping my big hunky van could get me up to freeway speeds. And then I met the freeway again, it was dead quiet and just a few loner cars here and there. I found myself even speeding a few times here and there. And found the freeway a little enjoyable.

We got to the exit at there house. I was asking my dad if this was the right exit, and when he was replying yes, I started getting the the right lane. I started off the exit, and relief came to me like food to a starving man. And then only minutes later we reached our destination and everyone piled out of the car. I got out of the car and locked the car, and my dad congratulated me on not killing anybody.

Many people can’t wait to start driving, this was the same with me. But I must admit that I have had a lot of scary experiences on the road. Driving is not all fun and games, you have to think about the people driving around you. One think I have really learned from when I started driving is trust. You have to put trust in the other drivers that they won’t kill you, or that they will let you in when you’re signaling. But you also have to remember that there is some idiots on the road.

4 comments:

Starchild28 said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I was old enough to drive!

Dew drop said...

Hey Seminary Buddy,
My dad is starting to tell me I need to start driving on the Freeway but after my expirence on the Highway I don't want to. Well glad you didn't kill any one
-see you tomarow-

MRT said...

Just stay off the phone when you finally do get behind the wheel, okay!

Alina said...

Lars15 driving??? Curious curious. Congrats for your accomplisment though.